Ever since we got the keys to the new house, we’ve been working away like busy little bees on the downstairs. Mostly painting, just trying to get the house to be more “us”… our style. We painted all the trim white, and painted all the walls Perfect Taupe by Behr. Then, we turned our eyes to the kitchen. To give you an idea, this is what the kitchen looked like before:
This photo is from the listing for our house. You can see the border at the top that we removed (it was a cute border! Coffee themed, which of course warmed my coffee-loving heart, but alas! Borders aren’t really my thing. If they were my thing though, I would totally buy that border!). The cabinets were builder grade oak, and the counters were a hunter green laminate.
Here’s another angle, after we painted trim and walls:
The oak cabinets made everything feel really dark to me. And the light in the kitchen… oh boy. It’s a fluorescent box. It matches the cabinets but I felt like it was drawing your eye to it, and it really wasn’t anything worth looking at. So! We got to work.
I did the cabinets with Rustoleum’s Cabinet Transformations in Quilter’s White (haha, right?), and the counters with ArmorGarage’s epoxy kitchen kit in Absolute Black (a review on this product to come in the near future- I have many thoughts, and a lot to say). I had originally planned on glazing the cabinets to give them an old world, antique look. However, once I got the Quilter’s White on them I loved the color so much as it was, I decided to skip the glaze entirely. I also added some hardware to the cabinets. I got a satin nickel spoon foot pull that I used on both the doors and the drawers. It’s clean and simple, without being contemporary and modern (which wouldn’t have gone with my overall theme and decor). Without further ado, here’s the after:
I even painted that fluorescent box the same Quilter’s White that I used on the cabinets. That light is not long for that kitchen, but while I’m searching for one that I love, I figured I’d cover the oak (especially since it doesn’t match the cabinets anymore). Now it really seems to disappear into the ceiling, and I don’t even notice it.
After weeks of painting and polyurethaning and sanding and on and on and on, I am happy to take a break on home improvement projects for now. In a couple of weeks I have plans to refinish the dining room table, but first I’d like to finally, finally, play with my longarm.
All in all, I completely changed the look of my kitchen for about $550 (and it could have been less- I got the large kit for the cabinets and could have done a small. I will find a use for the extra though!).
Thanks for checking out my kitchen!